At some point while Kathy was talking about Web 2.o applications and filter issues, she made the following comment, "We are not the pentagon, we are here for us to learn and kids to learn". I could not agree with her more!
Some of the things I walked away wanting to look into further are listed below:
- Creating a Google Apps for Education account for our school district
- It gives you access to their premier account, with the ability to manage it
- In her district, 6th graders to 12th graders have email accounts. It is explained to them as a "business account" and is not for personal use.
- If she were to set up the account again, she would have a few different accounts so that you could give some students email addresses, but if a parent will not give permission, than you could put that student in a different account and check the button for no email (students don't really need email, they just need an email address to create accounts at the various Web 2.0 applications
- First website created in 1990, Web 2.o started in late 90s
- Terminology: Web feed / Newsfeed - used to "subscribe", RSS - Really Simple Syndication, Aggregator / News Reader - allows you to have information delivered to you, Tag - allows you to label items by topics